We have received two letters from Sofia. In the latest one from September, she told us she is learning to wash her hands, brush her teeth and shower each day. All things we take for granted here.
She said they are justifying themselves for the entrance to the jungle. I asked what that was but haven’t heard back yet. There is such a language, age and culture difference on top of the fact that we’re not great with kids.
They are doing balloon games and sports. I wonder if Ecuador celebrates anything like our Thanksgiving or Christmas.
It takes well over a month on the improved scanned process for the translation to be completed if you actually mail a letter and gifts. I’m not sure if they give each child their birthday gifts on their birthday or when they finish translating them. Either way. I pray her day is special for her.
There is a pretty small list of actual gifts you can send in addition to an extra monetary gift. I learned after making a custom metal bookmark from Shutterfly, that bookmarks need to be paper only. Also after I had that made in English- hubby reminded me that is not her native language. I also read after the fact that putting the sponsor number on the letter isn’t enough. Your number is supposed to be on each item. I received an undeliverable email on the metal AND on the 5 paper ones I custom made. I responded to the email and they said it was sent in error and Sofia was given a bookmark. I have no idea if she received the 5 bookmarks (in her favorite color brown) in the letter (for a total of 6 papers). Wonder if a card is counted as one or two pieces of paper? I think for Christmas I’ll find stickers and a musical card.
I hope she receives her gifts and I’m still hoping we get to see a smile ~
#endpoverty #sponsorachild #compassion
Maybe YOU too could sponsor a child https://www.compassion.com/
In order to facilitate our digital letter delivery process, please keep these guidelines in mind when sending a small gift with your letter.
- Small gifts and/or enclosures received without a personal letter cannot be sent along to your sponsored child.
- Your letter and any enclosures should be completely flat and made of paper.
- Letters and small, flat paper gift items should be no larger than 8.5” x 11″.
- Total number of items (including stationery and your letter) should not exceed six sheets of paper.
- Items in excess of six sheets, will be donated to a children’s charity in Colorado Springs. Items that cannot be donated will be discarded.
Here is what you can include with a letter to your sponsored child.Only the following items will be physically delivered to your child, up to the maximum six sheets mentioned above.
- Musical greeting cards
The following flat paper items will be scanned and sent electronically with your letter. Your child will not receive the original items, and they will not be kept or returned.
Please remember we aren’t able to deliver these items:
- BAND-AIDS or other adhesive bandages
- Blank stationery
- Books and booklets
- Ceramics or glass
- Cloth items
- Construction paper
- Crocheted bookmarks
- Elastic hair bands
- Foam crafts
- Foreign currency
- Halloween items (inappropriate in many countries)
- Jewelry, including friendship or plastic bracelets
- Large items
- Perishable items
- Plastic items
- Plastic rulers
- Plastic mesh crafts woven with ribbon or yarn
- Small pieces of cloth
- Silly Bandz (fun shaped rubber bands)
- Toothpaste and toothbrushes
By sending items on the approved list, you can help ensure that your child receives your special gift!